Who better to give you the buzz on all kinds of books whether it's the classics, chick lit, contemporary fiction, horror, biography, non-fiction, children's, picture books, sci-fi, fantasy (and whatever else I can dig up!) than a true book lover?!



Friday, September 23, 2011

Preston & Child

I’m trying to stick to my schedule of one review avery two weeks, but I get stidetracked and start reading ahead! I had planned to write a review of The Dukan Diet, but my dearest husband finished Cold Vengeance [finally!] and I knew I had to read it before I did anything else. Luckily I was almost finished with Still Life for Crows and could jump right in.
I have read every single Preston & Child book, [wow, that sounds kinda stalker-creepy, doesn’t it?] and Still Life for Crows was the first book I have wanted to not finish reading. The only saving graces in this book were [of course] Special Agent Pendergast, whom I adore, and Corrie, a new character who steals the whole she-bang.   
I try not to put any kind of spoilers in these reviews, so I’m going to keep my critique general.  First, contrary to many horror movies, books and tv shows, scary can exist without gore, and when grisly, gory parts are necessary, it is best when largely left to the imagination. Suffice to say, I did not read about 6 pages to quiet the heavings of my stomach.  Some things I just can’t bear to have in my consciousness.  Second, it was never explained exactly why Pendergast was in that god-forsaken Kansas town to begin with! Third, and most importantly, the ending stunk! I was left with the feeling of what the hell did I just waste my time on? And that’s NO way to feel after reading a Pendergast novel.   
So, to recap…Still Life with Crows is a book to read if you are a die-hard Pendergast fan, but pretty much a waste of trees in my opinion [aside from Corrie, who they could have introduced some other way].

"Before you emark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves" ~ Confucious

Now to the good stuff…Cold Vengeance! I read this book in just a few hours.  It’s short – just 356 pages, but it is chock-full of revelations.  After Fever Dream, Pendergast is in a state of shock and rage and is determined to find the truth about Helen’s murder.  I was impressed at how deftly the story threads were woven and delighted at the inclusion of both Constance and Corrie in the storyline.  D’Agosta could have been featured more, I think, but I believe that Preston & Child did not want to prolong that part of the story, which I thought was the only mistake in the whole book. Yes, we have been waiting years to know about Helen, but we also deserved to have Pendergast’s emotional state more thoroughly described.  He is a complex character and his thought process in some ways, IS the story. 
Other than that, I was pleased with the book and the continuing mystery.  I believe that the story will only get better!  If you haven’t read any of Preston/Child books, let me recommed Relic as your introduction to the Pendergast world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment