Who better to give you the buzz on all kinds of books whether it's the classics, chick lit, contemporary fiction, horror, biography, non-fiction, children's, picture books, sci-fi, fantasy (and whatever else I can dig up!) than a true book lover?!



Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Different is Good!

If you’re like me, in high school you were forced to read books that you were told were “classics” like Billy Bud or Silas Marner.  And, you suffered through them, mostly hating them.  You may have been one of the lucky few who got to read something close to interesting, but for the most part you were completely turned off.  (I remember tucking my Stephen King paperback inside my English book during class reading time.)  Poe and Shakespeare were the only ones who caught my imagination.  If I am completely honest, the only reason Shakespeare got a second glance was because my 10th grade English teacher told us to look for the bawdy jokes in “Romeo and Juliet.”  Brilliant man!  So, I tried really hard not to include all the “classics” that most kids read in high school (and hate) and stick to those that we read, or wish we read, in our childhood, adolescence and adulthood that make us think, wince, laugh out loud, reminisce, cry and generally enjoy. To that end, you’ll find my list pretty eclectic (and long!) but one that can be easily adaptable to any age group. 
Here it is already week three of 2012, and I’m finding the best way to end the day is to read to one or more of my kids, especially those books that I find so comforting and wonderful myself.  But, in keeping with the spirit of trying something new, I’ve tried hard to put in loads of children’s literature that I haven’t read myself (which is quite a lot, since I was obsessed with the occult, horror and sci-fi when I was a kid).  This week’s choices are a result of this conscious decision to go in a different direction.  Consider The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, “The Waste Land” by T.S. Eliot and James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. 
First off, you’re right! “The Waste Land” is not a book, but a poem.  It’s included on my list for several reasons, and the first of which is this: T.S. Eliot was a tortured soul and a literary genius, whose great works are often hidden behind his most famous work, “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.”  This is a shame, because Eliot is so much more, I’ve found.  Second, “The Waste Land” is often quoted in other works and I’ve always been curious about the poem, but not enough to actually read and dissect it.  Third, I’ve always stood in awe of those people who have had a classical education (learned in Latin and Greek among other cool and equally daunting subjects) and used that education throughout their art with such mastery that a horrible feeling of complete ignorance overcomes me whenever I encounter it, so I wanted to “crack the code” so to speak. Finally, this blog is supposed to stimulate people (namely myself) to more critical thought and nothing, I believe, takes more brain power than poetry!

How creepy is this cover?
Now, you may be remembering the long lectures and boring, drool-inducing explanations that I, too, was subjected to and unfortunately, ended up being mind-numbed to and turned off of classic fiction, poetry, plays and essays.  This was a big hurdle for me to overcome.  But, I found the most wonderful website to work through this poem, and if you decide to read “The Waste Land,” which I fervently hope you do, please go here http://world.std.com/~raparker/exploring/thewasteland/table/explore6.html to have it all become crystal clear in an easy to read, easy to understand format!  I found out so much that I didn’t know and, even though I didn’t subscribe to the couple of critically accepted theories behind the poem, I learned enough to come up with my own theory, which can I won’t elaborate on in this blog (I don’t want to influence any future reader with my opinions). I’ll say this, though:  what may look like a bunch of nonsense strewn together is actually an intensely personal revelation disguised by Eliot as something altogether different – something only an expert at concealment and undeniable genius intellect could pull off.  As you read, consider it was published in 1922, but the themes of disillusionment, religious conflict, and passion thwarted by societal norms, can still be applied today. I’d love to hear your interpretations!


The illustrations are PERFECT!

Brake…switch gears….and full steam ahead to: Roald Dahl – a staple among the children’s lit greats – Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Fantstic Mr. Fox,  and, of course, James and the Giant Peach.  I do love the way that Dahl writes and brings his characters to life, making you a believer amidst some pretty fantastical circumstances.  Poor James, a small boy whose parents are killed in a freak accident, goes to live with his evil aunties and after much suffering encounters a silly little man promising him an end to all his problems if James only follows his directions.  Of course, it all goes awry and James is caught up in a wonderful, glorious adventure that leads him and his new “friends” to new lives.  What a blast this was to read aloud and give voice to such funny and endearing characters! This short book moves at a fast pace designed to keep little ones interested and entertained, but with such a unique story that parents will be just as charmed as their children.  It was a great pleasure to read this to my daughter, who really liked it. (Little critic that she is though, declared emphatically that The Fantastic Mr. Fox was “better.”)

Sidenote:  It’s funny what kids take away from childhood books. In re-reading this with my daughter, I found I had completely forgotten about the fact the aunties perish when the peach rolls over them, but remembered with fondness the fact that Miss Spider spun all the peach’s inhabitants a hammock in which to sleep!  The same goes for all the PG movies I watched as a kid – so many happy memories, but when I watch them with my kids, I think, “Wow…did they just say the D-word 4 times in a row? I don’t remember that!”  But, my kids never bat an eye – doesn’t make the least impression on them.  Go figure.  On the flip side, I can trace my intense fear of sharks back to this book. (‘Course it didn’t hurt the same summer I read it, my older sister hummed the Jaws theme while I was swimming with her in the Atlantic Ocean!)   

Sadly, I haven’t finished The Last of the Mohicans and cannot, in all good conscience, report to you my review!  I’ll have to post twice this week, instead.  I’ll also put in this blog post my theory about “The Waste Land”. 

Keep Reading!!

Next Week:         Slaughterhouse-Five – Kurt Vonnegut
                                    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea – Jules Verne
                                    The Story of Ferdinand – Munro Leaf

No comments:

Post a Comment